One of the most common questions I get asked is “Which of the EZ Trading Computers should I buy?”
It makes sense that, during your process of deciding what computer you should buy, you would ask yourself this question. The easiest way to go about arriving at the best purchase for how you trade is to first figure out which type of computer user group you belong to.
Generally, traders can be grouped into two user categories. For our purposes, let’s call these two groups The Super User and The Advanced Super User. Here are user actions and characteristics that differentiate these two groups:
The Super User
First, if you trade in any fashion, you are a super user. Here are some user characteristics that are typical of a Super User:
- Requires real time data
- Uses a trading platform
- Participates in live teaching rooms
- Runs complex algorithms during trading
- Views 1 – 5+ charts simultaneously
The Advanced Super User
Odds are you started out as a Super User. Here are typical characteristics of The Advanced Super User to know if you have graduated to this level:
- Requires real time data
- Uses multiple trading platforms
- Runs multiple complex algorithms during trading
- Runs custom programmed indicators
- Has a need to view 5 or more charts simultaneously
- Streams news outlets and market information while trading
- Coaches a trading group or mentors others
Now that you know which group you fall into based on HOW you trade, let’s explore how that translates to trading computer hardware.
The Super User Trading Computer Hardware Requirements
Super Users are above average computer users. This means that commercial industry computer hardware standards won’t get the job done. Here are the MINIMUM specs that you need in a computer:
– No less than 8 GB of RAM, however I would prefer this user to have at least 16GB
– An i7 processor with a benchmark of 10,000 – 13,000 (Ex. i7-4790)
– An SSD hard drive (I would recommend 120GB for size UNLESS you store a lot of applications and data on your computer.)
– No less than 2 monitors
* Note this type of user can purchase a laptop as their main computer as long as it meets the above requirements. Though, ideally, a laptop is a supplement to a powerful desktop.
The Advanced Super User Trading Computer Hardware Requirements
Advanced Super users should be careful to not invest in a computer that falls below these standards:
– No less than 16 GB of RAM, however I would prefer 32 GB +
– An i7 processor with a benchmark of 13,000 – 20,000 (Ex. i7-5930K)
– An SSD hard drive (I would recommend 250GB for size.)
– No less than 4 monitors, though if you are viewing a decent amount of charts I would move to 6+ monitors. It’s more economical to up graphics cards during the purchase than add them down the line.
* Note this type of user should not rely on a laptop as their main computer. A laptop should supplement a powerful desktop in case portability is required due to travel, etc.
Remember, we are here to help with all your technology related questions. If you think of additional questions about computer hardware or other questions, give me a call. My team and I are here to help. We’re happy to answer any of your questions about trading computers via phone: 800-387-5250
There are more trading computer tips like this in our buyers guide. Check out our “How To Buy a Trading Computer” e-book.